White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
What’s not to love about this creamy white cheddar macaroni and cheese! We use regular milk and no heavy cream so our cheddar macaroni isn’t a calorie bomb.
It only takes a few minutes to make a delicious white sauce with added cheddar and then cook up some macaroni. This is a quick side-dish for just about any dinner or a main feature for lunch.
You can read more about making white sauce here –> White Sauce Recipe.
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken soup base
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup reserved cooking water
- 1 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the 2 cups of macaroni according to package directions but add the soup base to the water along with a little salt. Reserve a 1/2 cup of the cooking water when draining.
- While the noodles are cooking, melt butter in a pan and when the butter starts to bubble a bit, whisk in the flour.
- Whisk constantly while slowly adding the milk and then the broth. Stir in mustard, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the grated cheese. Put pasta back into the pan and stir through.
It’s cheaper and healthier to grate your own cheese instead of buying the prepackaged grated cheese.