Rice and Corn Salad – with Summer Fresh Corn and Cherry Tomatoes
Most of us have our special “summer recipes” and this is definitely one of ours. We love this rice and corn salad because we make it with field-fresh corn and freshly picked garden tomatoes! Summer foods at their finest!
This is also a great way to use up any leftover corn from summer picnics – or you can easily cook your fresh corn for this salad. Find out more here –> How to cook Summer Fresh Corn.
- 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
- 2 teaspoons chicken flavored soup base
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups of fresh cooked corn (about 3-4 ears)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions but add chicken soup base and a little salt to the cooking water.
- While the rice is cooking, sauté the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle tomato mixture with sugar, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Add corn to the tomato mixture and stir through; sauté for an additional minute.
- Add cooked rice to the skillet with the tomatoes and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
After the corn has finished cooking, let it cool for about 5 minutes and then using a sharp knife, slice the corn away from the cob.
Rice and corn are a delicious combination that will perk up any summer picnic or party! We use white rice for this salad, but brown rice would work just as well.
We almost always use a little bit of chicken soup base to flavor rice while it’s cooking.