Slow Cooker Creamy and Delicious Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
We do love our soups here at DinnerPlanner.com! And this one is super easy and delicious!
This family-satisfying, wild rice soup is so warm and comforting. The wild rice is filling, while the finely minced and chopped vegetables give the soup a more consistent flavor throughout.
What’s more, some its “creaminess” comes from pureed cannellini beans, rather than a larger amount of high-fat dairy products.
A healthy soup that you and your whole family will enjoy.
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked*
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 12 oz. fresh mushrooms, wiped clean, divided
- 1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans, undrained**
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 6-8 cups chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Rinse the wild rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Let drain and transfer to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to a food processor and pulse until very finely minced and transfer to slow cooker crock.
- Add 8 oz. mushrooms to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Thinly slice remaining mushrooms and add to slow cooker pot, along with the finely chopped mushrooms.
- Puree cannellini beans until smooth and pour into slow cooker crock with other ingredients. Add bay leaf, garlic powder, and 6 cups of vegetable stock. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. Actual cooking time will varying by individual slow cooker, so check for doneness after 2 1/2 hours (or 5 1/2 hours for low) and adjust cooking time accordingly. (The rice should be tender, but not mushy, when finished).
- When cooking time is complete, remove bay leaf and discard.
- Add half and half, chopped parsley, and additional stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
HEALTHY SLOW COOKER SOUP
Wild Rice Soup Tips:
For best results, use a multi-color wild rice blend. Black rice will turn purple when the cream is added.
For less salt, rinse and drain the beans before pureeing them with a little water.
To prevent curdling, avoid stirring cold dairy products directly into the hot soup. To temper the half and half, add a couple spoonfuls of the hot soup to it before stirring into the slow cooker crock.