Simple Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Lemon
One of the first things that pops into your mind when you hear “Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup” is the common cold. The two just seem to go hand-in-hand and for good reason! But does chicken soup really work against fighting colds? Well, even if chicken soup doesn’t work, it’s still a nutritious and delicious way to help you feel better.
This is a simple homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe that you can whip up when someone needs a good hearty bowl of feel-good soup. Whether you know someone sick or someone sad, this soup is sure to provide cheer and get them on the path to feeling better quickly.
Garlic and onions both have healing properties that can help ease the common cold and also help to boost the immune system. Add in the lemon and you have yourself a comforting bowl of healing deliciousness.
What’s nice about this recipe is that it can be made quickly without a ton of work. It can be made much quicker if you have some bags of frozen chicken in the freezer from our Roasted Chicken with Lemon, Garlic and Rosemary recipe. The chicken is delicious in this chicken soup recipe.
Chop up some fresh spinach and add to the soup and you have yourself a complete meal. Soup is great year round and this soup is definitely one of our favorites!
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 6-7 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped small (about 1-1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup diced chicken
- 6-7 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups medium egg noodles
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a medium-sized soup pan, cook onions in olive oil until they start to get tender.
- Add carrots and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Lightly salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth, diced chicken, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper to the pan.
- Bring to a light boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into the broth and add the noodles.
- Cook on medium-high for about 6 minutes or until noodles are cooked through.
This is the perfect chicken noodle soup to make if you have sick ones in the house or need something to take to a friend!