Pasta Fredda Recipe with Tomatoes and Olives
Pasta Fredda is an Italian recipe that uses fresh raw tomatoes and olives that have been left to marinate in minced garlic and plenty of quality olive oil.
A little purple onion can also be added to the mix along with a few strands of fresh basil. Soak the purple onion in cold water for about 10 minutes to take the bite out.
Back 60 – 70 years or so ago, when the weather would turn hot, and there was no air conditioning to be found, people cooked much differently than they do today.
Meals were simple and often consisted of cold salads in lieu of cooking over a hot stove.
This Pasta Fredda Recipe is perfect when you want something simple yet delicious. Although we did saute our tomatoes in garlic, this recipe is definitely delicious either way – raw or cooked.
- 1/2 lb. spaghetti
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup black or Kalamata Olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and toss in a bowl with the garlic and olives.
- Drizzle a little red wine vinegar over the tomatoes and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Stir in the olive oil and let marinate on your kitchen counter for at least an hour.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
You can read more about how to saute cherry tomatoes here –> How to Saute Cherry Tomatoes.