Creamy Oatmeal with Cherries
It’s cherry season and one of our favorite breakfasts that includes cherries would be oatmeal! Oatmeal cooked with sweet & savory cherry chunks.
Steel Cut Oats alone makes for a very healthy breakfast, but the nutritional value of this oat breakfast gets an even bigger bump by the addition of cherries and cinnamon.
Cherries, cinnamon and a little butter, yum.
Hopefully this post will persuade a few people to try steel cut oats and see for themselves how they can be a part of a deliciuos healthy diet!
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cherries, (about 12 cherries) chopped with pit removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place steel cut oats, water, salt and cherries in a medium pan.
- Bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- You want to simmer lightly and check after about 20 minutes.
- When the oats are fully cooked, stir in butter, cinnamon and sugar.
- Let sit for about 2 minutes to absorb all the flavors.
Wash cherries well and let drain. Since there aren’t that many cherries to work with, just use a sharp knife to cut away the pit of the cherry. Cut the rest of the cherry into small pieces.
To make this a healthy breakfast with some protein, include a delicious poached egg.
See more how how to make the perfect poached egg.