Healthy Chicken Parmesan Recipe – Baked in the Oven
This healthy chicken Parmesan recipe is one of the easiest Parm recipes you will find. The chicken is neither breaded nor fried, but it still turns out to be a moist and delicious-tasting chicken Parmesan!
The secret to the success of a great baked chicken Parmesan is in the tomatoes that you use for the sauce.
For this recipe, we used Jovial organic diced tomatoes, that are harvested and packed on the same day in BPA-free glass jars. This brand is definitely one of the tastiest brands of diced tomatoes we have ever used.
Any brand of diced tomatoes will work, but if you find something special like the Jovial on sale, grab them up!
- 1-1/4 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
- 1 jar or can of diced tomatoes( 15 oz. - 18 oz.)
- 1/2 small white onion, grated on large holes of grater
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1-1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a small amount of the olive oil to lightly oil a 2 quart baking dish.
- Pour diced tomatoes into baking dish and stir in grated onion, oregano, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sugar. Lightly salt and pepper this to your taste; stir everything to combine.
- With small amount of remaining oil, lightly oil both sides of chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Lay chicken in sauce and push down to submerge a little in the sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.
- Put back in the oven uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese has completely melted.
- Make sure chicken is cooked through.
The diced tomatoes makes a delicious light sauce and not a thick pasta sauce. You could thicken it up a little by adding some tomato paste, but we love it just the way it is!
You don’t want big chunks of onion, so grate half of a small onion using the large holes of your grater.
Toss the fresh basil on last. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Remove the foil and add Mozzarella cheese. Put back in the oven for about 5 minutes.