Fish Grilled or Baked in Foil – Our Delicious Steamed Citrusy Orange Roughy
If you haven’t tried foil packet cooking, you are in for a real treat! Preparation only takes a few minutes and clean up is a breeze. This is something we find ourselves doing often during the summer months when it’s too hot to cook inside.
You can use this method indoors year round, but just toss the packets onto your grill to enjoy a light and healthy meal during the warmer months.
This recipe uses orange roughy filets, but this technique can be used with any type of fish, lean protein and veggie combination.
You can use fresh or preserved lemons to make this foil fish recipe. We do recommend trying the preserved lemons because they add a lot more flavor. A word of caution, however, if you use preserved lemons, don’t add additional salt to the fish filets without tasting it first.
- 4 orange roughy filets or other delicious white fish
- 12 thin slices fresh lemon
- 8 thin slices fresh lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds and veins removed and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- lightly salt and pepper, to taste
- If preparing indoors, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Tear off 4 sheets of aluminum foil into sections large enough to fold over fish filets, with another couple of inches on each side to seal. Place a filet slightly off center on each sheet and add 3 lemon slices and 2 lime slices on top of each. Top each filet with ¼ of the cilantro and jalapeno pepper. Top with 1 T. of butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To seal packet, fold aluminum foil in half over the ingredients. Fold the 3 open sides, one at a time, over several times to seal the packet completely. The goal is to seal the packet tight enough to hold in the steam, but allow enough room for the air to expand.
- Place foil packet in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or place on hot grill over medium, direct heat and cook for approximately 8 - 10 minutes. Add a couple minutes to your cooking time if starting with frozen filets.
- To serve, open the foil packets, carefully avoiding the hot steam. Discard lemon and lime slices. Transfer filets to plates (if desired) or leave inside foil packets. Top with spicy peach salsa and serve.
Top with spicy summer peach salsa for a delicious treat!