Fideo – Delicious Recipe using Cut Spaghetti
Fideo, or Fideo Cut Spaghetti is one of our favorite pastas to cook with. A light angle hair pasta the has been cut into very small pieces. Fideo means “noodle” in Spanish, and the noodle can be cut either short or long.
We always have a box of these noodles in the pantry to toss in soups and also to cook up quick side dishes that are delicious.
This Fideo recipe is noodles toasted lightly in oil and butter and then simmered in tomato sauce. It’s simple to prepare and one of our favorite comfort foods!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
- 2 cups Barilla Fideo Cut Spaghetti
- 1 15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon soup base
- salt & pepper
- Using a medium skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter and oil until onion is tender.
- Add Fideo pasta to the skillet with the onions and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir the noodles with a spatula while browning. Do not let them burn.
- Sprinkle noodles with cumin, salt and pepper while cooking.
- Pour the tomato sauce in the skillet and add one full can of water.
- Stir in the soup base and continue stirring until everything is well blended.
- Let simmer on the stove gently for about 6-8 minutes, stirring often.
Using your spatula, push the noodles around the skillet until well toasted.
Stir in the tomato sauce and one full can of water. You can add additional water if necessary.