Chicken Schnitzel Parmigiana
This chicken is perfect when you want something a little different for a delicious dinner. Chicken for the schnitzel is typically pounded thin, but don’t worry if you you don’t have a meat mallet, just use something heavy. Wrap the chicken in plastic wrap and then pound with something heavy like a can or the bottom of a heavy skillet.
Thin chicken is delicious because it cooks quickly and stays moist and tender. The ham cooked in butter adds so much flavor to this dish. All the ingredients in this recipe just come together so nicely.
You can definitely use a jarred tomato sauce, but the simple tomato sauce below cooks quickly and is fresh and delicious to use in recipes.
So when the hungry family is asking – “what’s for dinner,” you can say chicken schnitzel parmigiana!
- 1-1/2 lb. boneless chicken breast – gently pounded thin or sliced on the diagonal
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaf
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 lb. deli ham, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sauce (see below)
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Pound chicken pieces thin with a meat mallet.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on each side.
- Mix flour with thyme and sprinkle over both sides of the chicken.
- Pour breadcrumbs on a piece of waxed paper and mix with Parmesan cheese and a little salt.
- Beat together egg and milk in a shallow bowl. Lightly salt and pepper egg mixture.
- Dip floured chicken in egg and then dredge in bread crumbs.
- Heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook both sides of the chicken until well browned.
- Line a 9 x 13" casserole dish with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Lay each chicken piece on foil in baking dish.
- Rinse out the skillet and melt butter over low heat. Sauté diced ham for about 1 minute.
- Place small spoonfuls of diced ham on top of each piece of chicken.
- Using a spoon, place even amounts of tomato sauce on top of ham.
- Sprinkle with provolone cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Simple Tomato Sauce Recipe
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, diced fine
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes (in thick puree)
1 tsp. onion salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1-2 tsp. sugar
1/2 Tbsp. dried parsley
In a medium saucepan, melt butter with olive oil and sauté garlic for 1 minute. Add the rest of the ingredients; stir and simmer for 15 minutes.