Caprese Pasta Salad
If you are looking for something a little different to take to your next picnic or potluck dinner, look no further than this delicious Caprese Pasta Salad!
This pasta salad goes a little bit “above and beyond” your typical Caprese pasta salad with the addition of balsamic vinaigrette dressing and just a touch of tomato sauce.
The Caprese Pasta Salad is a great salad to make during the summer months when you can buy the tastiest cherry tomatoes and fresh basil at your local farmers’ market. If you can’t find any cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes will work as well.
- 1 lb. rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/4 Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- 2-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, each tomato cut in half
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (8 oz.) ball of fresh Mozzarella cheese cut into small cubes
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions, Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Put cooked pasta back in the pan.
- While the pasta is cooking, saute garlic in olive oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the pan and continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Salt & pepper the tomatoes as they cook.
- Stir in the Vinaigrette dressing and let simmer for about 2 more minutes.
- Pour this mixture over the pasta and gently mix.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and lightly salt & pepper.
- Let chill in the refrigerator while you cut up the mozzarella.
- Stir in mozzarella and basil.
Cooked cherry and grape tomatoes release their juices when cooked. This is super-delicious when combined with the balsamic vinaigrette dressing and a little salt & pepper.
We are huge fans of Barilla pasta, so when we saw this organic rotini we had to try it right away! Barilla pasta never disappoints and we always recommend using this brand whenever possible.
Make this pasta salad in the morning ahead of time to let the flavors blend and the salad chill.